There are a wide range of people who can benefit from a prenuptial agreement:
- people who believe family law treats unmarried couples unfairly
- people who want to avoid an expensive legal case if their relationship ends
- people entering second relationships
- people with estate plans
- people who own a business
- people who own a home
- people with more assets or a higher income than their partners
- people who expect a signficant inheritance or who will be taking over a family business
- couples where both parties have significant assets
- couples where one party has significant debts
- people who are economically weaker than their partners and want economic protection upon separation or the death of their partner
- people with children from a previous relationship
- people who are foregoing a career due to the relationship
Even if you decide that a prenp is not appropriate for you, going through the discussions with your partner is beneficial. It is a good idea to know what your partner’s assets, liabilities, and income are, what their attitude to handling money during is, and what they would consider fair if your relationship ever ended. And it cannot hurt for you to obtain a basic knowledge of what family law is all about.
You’re Invited to Call or E-Mail!
If you’re considering a prenuptial agreement — or have already made your decision — you’re invited to call or email us. We’ll explain for free how you can protect your assets and plan your estate. You can call us toll-free at 855-PRENUP-4 or email us using our contact form here. We can help you anywhere in Ontario, including Ottawa, Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, and Hamilton.